Saturday, August 4, 2007

A Lesson in Jamma History

"Shut UP!"

I could hear you all collectively saying this in my mind when I pulled it out of the box.
Today I've been unpacking some boxes, including a few that my parents have been storing at their house since May 2002. I've been out of town so much lately that I still have not finished getting the house together. Sucks, but it has to get done!
You all know the feeling when you are unpacking and you come across something that either A. you have completely forgotten about or B. you have wondered where it was for a long time but just could not put your hands on it. Well option B happend to me about an hour ago.
Imagine my surpirse when out of a box comes this:

I was so freaking excited! I have wondered where this little piece of history has been for so long. Don't get me wrong. I don't lose sleep over this or anything, but every once in a while it would cross my mind, and it bugged the heck out of me that I couldn't find it. Well, here it is in all it's Jamma glory. "Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" (That, my friends, was the sound of angels singing, for those of you with no imagination that couldn't figure it out.)

This is the single item from which we derived the name of our amazing group of friends. The Jammas! We found these little, no, BIG 80's sleep shirts while rummaging around in the office at the Derge (That is the nickname of the DG house at State, for anyone out there who has no idea what I'm talking about...and no, I don't know if that is the correct spelling. It probably has never been put in print before. So, maybe that's another piece of history. I digress.)

Since it was a pajama shirt we, probably with too much discussion, shortened the name to jamma. I don't clearly remember the details, but I'm positive that some of us snatched them up and modeled them for some time, and the others of us rolled on the floor laughing in true Jamma style. Somewhere in the chaos that ensued we decided that The Jammas would be the name that we would go by forevermore.

While I could not afford to pay a supermodel to don this for our photoshoot, I did find a novice who told me she would do it for free. Sorry, she's not very well trained, but she's all I could afford:

And that, my dears, is a lesson in Jamma history!

P.S. Thank Libby for the precious new desing of the blog! She did a great job!


4 comments:

Hillary Jordan said...

I am laughing so hard right now! I totally forgot about those jammas. I wish that I could borrow it for the next two weeks while I'm at the "Derge" for rush. Say a little prayer for me...

Anonymous said...

You look so beautiful BFF!!!!! I miss you!!! Love, your BFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF&F

Unknown said...

Oh my word! I laughed out loud! I am sooooo glad you found that thing! You have to keep it forever! I wish I still had one! Oh, the days of college! I spefically remember laughing my head off when we first found those. Oh, the Jammas!!!!!

The Kosko Family said...

i can't stop laughing....i can't stop.